Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Humpty, do you need a hand? I promise to be careful.



Teacher friends, I know change is difficult.  Humpty Dumpty is so fragile, but should we help him off the wall?

It has been a few years since I read the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett, but there is a quote from the book that I have thought about, when I have been thinking about writing...

Skeeter is given the advice, "Write about what disturbs you, particularly if it bothers no one else."

Sometimes I have pondered using this advice, but though I know most of the page views to this blog are my own, I am not so sure I am as brave as Stockett's character.  I don't want to unintentionally paint any of my hard working, dedicated colleagues in a negative light.  We all have strengths and weaknesses, and also differing points of view.  I know that the teachers in my building are all 100% committed to doing their absolute best for our children.  So, to write about things that I don't necessarily feel are right does not mean that I have less admiration for these friends.

My divergent opinions may not inspire an educational movement, or bring to light any issue as glaring as those impacting the civil rights of folks living in Stockett's Jackson Mississippi, but there are a few things that I wonder about.

Titles and Topics for future blog posts

1.  I have been waiting for Common Core Curriculum Standards!  I am an American, born and raised to be an individual, trained to teach to the National Curriculum in the United Kingdom.   What can be wrong about high standards for everyone, shouldn't we all have this in common?

2.  Floatin' down the river!  My bulletin board as a metaphor for what happens inside my classroom...

3. Time to teach vs. Time for Pinterest.  Cutsie vs. Content or can we work together?  Let's think carefully about how we use arts and crafts to inspire creativity, and teach skills.

So... which should I write about first?




No comments:

Post a Comment